On The Slipway

Page 3 of 24

Gallery: HMS Rodney, main guns

Nearly all photographs of HMS Rodney could be classified under the “main gun” header with the main armament so prevalent in most images, so I made a small collection with either the barrel or the turret clearly in view (and not part of a larger series).

The crew receiving the following proclamation by King Edward VIII by the Captain (Wilfred Custance based on the date)

Royal Marine Guard for King Edward VIII

Hoisting a cutter

At the Canary Islands


“Gun jam practise” (?)

Gallery: HMS Hood

Even though HMS Hood images are difficult to obtain on Ebay I managed to buy a few good examples. Nothing really new, but still nice.

1932 (HMS Renown in the background)

1932 (HMS Renown in the background)


Not dated, but the aircraft equipment was only present from 1929 to 1933.

This shot was quite interesting because it shows so much variation in contrast of the ship; certainly not a single tone.

1939. A superb shot of the port side; I reduced this one to 1920×1080 pixels as my usual 1200×900 doesn’t do it justice.

1939. I think this is the nicest photo postcard I ever bought; the original photograph is sharp at 6000 x 3000 pixels and it shows the entire ship in beautiful detail. Also uploaded in HD format.

1940. Footage from 1940-1941 showing anything in detail is really rare. This one show the aft disinfector house between the forward searchlights and is a typical example of the crew paradox: the shot was taken to capture people living and working aboard HMS Hood, but they are also blocking the view to the ship.

1940. A well-known shot of the main deck that makes we wonder if the deck colour isn’t the same as the main colour, i.e., AP507B.

Winches, part II

Continuing from part I


With the deck painting progressing nicely I had to finish one tiny item: the six steam winches scattered around the barbettes. They are quite small and usually covered; only a few pics show them properly.

These small parts are a combination of lathed parts and a collection of styrene strip and Albion Alloy tubes/rod. These small tubes are brilliant modeling supplies and I cannot recommend them enough. A few tricky items for these parts were the drums with the five holes that I made when I wrote part I (in, ahum, 2010). Another tricky part is the small block in the front with the two curved brass wires from the side and one brass wire sticking out on top; this is a 0.75×0.75×0.5 mm “block” that actually has three holes drilled though it using the drill press. And the rest was tricky too. I should have used more etched parts to make life much easier, but making life easy was not the goal of this mini model I suppose.

Gallery: HMS Rodney’s secondary armament

Here’s a collection of images of the secondary guns of HMS Rodney. I was fortunate in picking up a second album of HMS Rodney with photographs taken with the spring cruise of 1935 and the fleet review of 1936. I added the approximate years and mixed the photographs below a bit. The second album had normal postcard-sized images and isn’t of the same quality of the first album but still very much worthwhile to show.

I just missed out a third album that would have complemented a nice series of HMS Rodney refueling a destroyer at sea, but it had many duplicate shots and had to let it go.



1935-1936. A gunnery target with HMS Hood in the background.






1936. Night exercise off Invergordon. Image appeared in the Times, 3rd of October 1936.

« Older posts Newer posts »

Copyright © 2021 On The Slipway

Theme by Anders NorenUp ↑